Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A really good start to my running week

Today I headed out at lunchtime and managed a really good 60 minute, easy run. The weather was a little kinder too and although it was a little windy, I did also get a glimpse of some sunshine, lovely!

Today's run was also a little faster without me seeming to be putting more effort into it, so perhaps this is a sign that my fitness is now improving – I do hope so.

I have also started listening to audio-books again whilst I am running, and over the past week I have listened to two autobiographies (both of cooks/chefs - which isn't a surprise, as if you know me you know that I have a passion for cooking). Anyway, the first one that I listened to was called 'Spilling the Beans' and this was the autobiography of Clarissa Dickson-Wright; and what a good listen this was. It was abridged (I normally don't listen to anything but unabridged, but a lot of the biographies and autobiographies seem to be abridged, so I thought that I would give it a go). Anyway, it was gripping and so moving – wow, I am still thinking about it now, many days after finishing it. The second one, which I started yesterday and finished today, was Gordon Ramsay's 'Humble Pie', again what a great listen, you have to be prepared for the F-word, but most people who know Gordon Ramsay know that this is a word that appears in most of his conversations so for me it wasn't a problem. It was a gripping listen, and I would recommend both these books to anyone, and especially anyone interested in cooking. I think what also makes these books stand out from other autobiographies that I have listened to is that the authors are also the narrators; to me this makes a big difference with an autobiography in audio-book format. I now just have to choose something else to start now....I have a few to choose from, but maybe it will be fiction this time....

Anyway, tomorrow I am planning on a 30-40 minute steady run, so watch this space!

No comments: